En español: Español

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Spanish Consulting Company uses Debian's logo in green

[Update: Feb, 03, 2009] "As I promised here is the results of my research: So, I decided to ask in Barrapunto (the Spanish Slashdot) about the issue, and following the comments and re-reading the Debian Logo's license it seems that it could not be a "huge" violation of the Copyright law. They should just add a comment saying where the logo comes from and/or a link to the Debian project's web page. And the final obtained conclusion is that since I am not directly affected, I cannot "do more" than inform the parts involved in the case."

Surfing the Internet I founded a Spanish consulting company from the dark side of the source using a nice green logo lightly similar to the logo of the rebel group called Debian. I am not very strong in laws, and after reading the Debian Open Use Logo License, I don't really know if this becomes a violation of the it. I know that in the software galaxy the fsf take charage of violation reports of their licenses GNU GPL, LGPL, AGPL, o FDL, but I don't really know what should be the correct acting protocol in this case. Right now I am researching about it, I will post my progress...

Here you have the logos so you can check the mentioned similarities:

Debian's Logo:


Consulting Company's Logo:


"I have a very bad feeling about this."
Luke Skywalker

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
The power of the source

GNU Free Documentation License 1.3
Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article are permitted worldwide,
without royalty, in any medium, provided this notice is preserved.
This blog is licensed under GNU Free Documentation License 1.3